House Bill 2402 established a legislative task force to develop recommendations to strengthen the ability of ODFW to carry out conservation and related outdoor recreation and education programs; maintain and enhance hunting and angling opportunities; and improve public access and habitat conservation programs. The task force is also charged with identifying sustainable, alternative funding to support those activities.
House Bill 2402 directs the task force to identify and recommend alternative funding strategies and opportunities to leverage existing funds for ODFW. Task force recommendations are due to the legislature in September 2016 for possible consideration during the 2017 legislative session.
Task force members represent the diverse interests in fish and wildlife management including the outdoor recreation business community; conservation, hunting and fishing interests; outdoor recreation interests other than hunting and fishing; travel and tourism industry; counties and tribal governments; outdoor education community; sport and commercial fishing industry; and diverse communities that may be underserved or underrepresented.
Task force members are:
- Scott Welch, Global Corporate Relations Manager, Columbia Sportswear
- Rob Morrison, Vice President of Global Marketing, Leupold & Stevens, Beaverton
- Claire Puchy, retired, former executive director of Columbia River Gorge Commission, Lake Oswego
- Rob Ball, retired, founding partner of Ball Janik, Portland
- Kenji Sugahara, Executive Director, Oregon Bicycle Racing Association, Salem
- Meryl Redisch, retired, former executive director of Portland Audubon, Portland
- Bruce Taylor, Executive Director, Oregon Habitat Joint Venture, Portland
- Mark Labhart, Tillamook County Commissioner, Tillamook
- Latricia Tillman, Director for Public Health, Multnomah County Health Department, Portland
- Enriqueta (Queta) Gonzales, Director, Center for Diversity and the Environment, Portland
- Karianne Westlund, CEO / President–Travel Lane County, Eugene
- Nancy Bales, Executive Director, Gray Family Foundation, Portland
- Jim Martin, Conservation Director, Pure Fishing, Mulino
- Brad Pettinger, Director, Oregon Trawl Commission, Brookings
- Mike Herbel, Owner, Neskowin Trading Company, Neskowin
- Paul Donheffner, Oregon Hunters Association, Salem
- Curt Melcher, Director, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Salem. Melcher will serve as an ex officio as a non-voting member of the task force.
- Michael Finley, Chair, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Commission. Finley will serve as an ex officio, non-voting member of the task force.
- Senator Chris Edwards (D)-Eugene
- Senator Doug Whitsett (R)-Klamath Falls
- Representative Ken Helm (D)-Beaverton
- Representative Wayne Krieger (R)-Gold Beach
HB 2402 Task Force Final Report
HB 2402 Recommendations - Executive Summary
Task force meeting materials, agendas and video recordings are available on the Oregon Legislative Information System.
House Bill 2402