Conference Goal for 2011
Provide ideas, experiences, and conversations that highlight the opportunities to improve or expand the integration of restoration strategies into all aspects of STEP programs.
The STEP Conference is intended to provide a forum for STEP volunteers from around the state to get together and discuss activities and share ideas. The conference also fosters awareness of STEP and volunteerism for the resource, and provides an information and educational opportunity for the local community.
The conference will be held at the Seven Feathers Convention Center in Canyonville just off of Interstate 5. View the facility. MAP
2013 STEP Conference Registration is open through March 23, 2013
Register on-line (early registration now open)
The cost this year for early registration is $25 for Saturday and includes both lunch and dinner. Early registration will end on January 31, after which the fee will be $30.
- DISCOUNTS: Thanks to our sponsors there are several discounts available, these include:
- Students: Students are encouraged to attend and will receive a discounted fee of only $10.
- Representatives and members of the Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians.
- Scholarships or volunteer opportunities may be available for those who need financial assistance.
- Discounts are limited and available on a first come first served basis. Please contact Kevin Herkamp at 503-947-6232 or email@example.com for more information.
Pre-registration is required and very few if any registrations will be accepted at the door.
Conference topics and activities (Refer to the conference flyer (pdf) for more information)
- 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Check-in begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Program Schedule: A program schedule including descriptions of sessions should be available by the end of 2012.
We will follow a format similar to last year and initial program ideas include a STEP hatchery track with updates on policies, monitoring and practices, a restoration track that focusses on community group based restoration activities, research updates, angler education information, a resource room and presentations by individuals who were prominent in the creation of STEP.
- Displays and Posters: There will once again be a displays and poster area for STEP groups and partners to showcase their programs and projects. The emphasis this year will be on how you have incorporated restoration into your programs or highlighting tools and resources that you have developed to include restoration. This is an opportunity to spread the word about your successes or challenges so others may learn from your experience.
- Award Dinner:There will be an awards ceremony/dinner Saturday evening. Dinner is included in the registration fee so please stay and help us recognize these deserving volunteers and partners. See “Award Nominations” Below for information on how to nominate.
– Optional tours and workshops
Workshops are still in development some early ideas include (some may have fee associated):
- Steelhead fishing on the Umpqua - an overview of how to fish for steelhead, including time fishing under direction of experienced guides/anglers, safety considerations, and the role of STEP in the fishery.
- Restoration Project Design – Both classroom and hands-on field demonstrations covering restoration techniques that can be completed by volunteers and have meaningful watershed benefits.
- Propagation and Acclimation – a tour and discussion on how fish are raised and reared on the Umpqua. Come see what others are doing and share lessons learned from your own propagation projects.
If you would like to put on a workshop please contact Kevin Herkamp at 503-947-6232 or firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2012 to discuss if it can be included.
The awards ceremony/dinner on Saturday provides a forum to recognize individuals and groups for their outstanding contributions furthering the mission of STEP. If you know someone who is deserving of recognition please complete the nomination form (word, PDF) and/or contact your local STEP Biologist, STAC member, or Kevin Herkamp at 503-947-6232 or email@example.com. Nominations must be submitted no later than January 15, 2013.
A limited block of rooms has been held at the Seven Feathers Casino Resort and a limited number of RV spaces have been held at the Seven Feathers RV Resort. Information on reserving these will be provided during the registration process. Please register and reserve your lodging soon. Other options for nearby accommodations are available at the Websites below.
Consider Supporting the Conference
The 2013 STEP conference is made possible through donations and sponsorships from businesses, organizations, and individuals like you. During the dinner on Saturday a silent auction will be held to raise funds to offset conference costs. More information on donating and sponsorship is available on our donor flyer (pdf). If you would like to donate an item for the silent auction or make a financial donation please contact Shannon Richardson at 541-726-3515 ext. 28 or Shannon.E.Richardson@state.or.us
Current Sponsors include: We thank them for their generous support.
Chinook (over $750)
- The Association of Northwest Steelheaders
- The Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians
- The Seven Feathers Convention Center.
- The Salmon-Trout Advisory Committee and ODFW Fish Restoration and Enhancement Program
- The Umpqua Fishermen’s Association
Trout (up to $100)