The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife mobile
 » ODFW Home    » 2008 News Releases
News Releases for the year 2008
Media Contacts 2014 Releases | 2013 Releases | 2012 Releases | 2011 Releases | 2010 Releases | 2009 Releases | 2008 Releases
facebook twitter youtube rss feed
emailReceive News Release Updates by E-mail

ODFW to conduct trout survey on Crooked River



June 16 , 2008


Michael Harrington (541) 447-5111, ext. 24
Brett Hodgson (541) 388-6363, ext. 227
Jessica Sall (503) 947-6023
Fax: (503) 947-6009

PRINEVILLE, Ore. – Biologists from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife will sample the Crooked River below Bowman Dam for redband trout and mountain whitefish beginning Monday, June 23 through Friday, June 27.

Biologists will be electrofishing the river between Big Bend and Chimney Rock campgrounds and between Lower Palisades and Stillwater campgrounds. Fishing is likely to be adversely affected temporarily in those portions of the river being sampled.

ODFW began sampling the Crooked River in 1989 in order to track the long-term health of the redband trout population. Trout populations have declined significantly in recent years, prompting ODFW to intensify its monitoring, and to partner with Oregon State University researchers to identify the cause.

During the sampling fish will be stunned and netted so biologists can record the size, abundance and condition of both redband trout and mountain whitefish. Anglers who later catch a tagged trout or whitefish are encouraged to release the fish after recording the tag number, fish length and location caught. Anglers can send the information to ODFW at (541) 447-5111 ext. 24 or




About Us | Fishing | Hunting | Wildlife Viewing | License / Regs | Conservation | Living with Wildlife | ODFW Outdoors

ODFW Home | Driving Directions | Employee Directory | Social Media | | File Formats

4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE   ::   Salem, OR 97302   ::    Main Phone (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

Do you have a question or comment for ODFW? Contact ODFW's Public Service Representative at:
Do you want to enter your opinion about a specific issue into the public record? Contact

   © ODFW. All rights reserved. This page was last updated: 10/02/2009 5:24 PM