Salem, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife invites Oregonians to fish for free during Free Fishing Weekend, June 12-13.
To help novice anglers get started, free fishing events around the region can help parents introduce their children to the joy of fishing. Events are typically geared towards kids and many provide loaner rods and reels as well as volunteers to help kids learn how to fish.
During Free Fishing Weekend fishing licenses and tags are not required, although all other angling restrictions apply.
The following events are taking place throughout central and southeast Oregon. All events are on Saturday, June 12.
- Burns Pond, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. More information: Shannon Hurn (541) 573-6582
- Prineville Youth Fishing Pond, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. For more information: Mike Harrington (541) 447-5111
- Fourmile Quarry Ponds, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. More information: Neil Anderson (541) 883-6731.
- Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Participants must be 10 and under. More information: Steve Famberger (541) 595-6611
- Clyde Holliday State Park, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. More information: Dennis Bradley (541) 932-4453
For more information about other Free Fishing Weekend events throughout the state, visit the ODFW website at www.dfw.state.or.us.