June 4, 2012
Salem, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife invites Oregonians to fish for free during Free Fishing Weekend, June 9-10.
To help novice anglers get started, free fishing events around the region can help parents introduce their children to the joy of fishing. Events are typically geared towards kids and many provide loaner rods and reels as well as volunteers to help kids learn how to fish.
The following events are taking place throughout northeast Oregon. All events are on Saturday, June 9 unless otherwise noted.
- Highway 203 Pond, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. More information: Tim Bailey (541) 962-1830.
- Morgan Lake, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. More information: Tim Bailey (541) 962-1830.
- Marr Pond, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. More information: Ron Harrod (541) 426-4467.
- Twin Ponds, 8 a.m. to noon. More information: Allison Johnson (541) 427-5305.
- Willow Creek Reservoir, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Event is Sunday, June 10 only. More information: Allison Johnson (541) 427-5305.
- ZX Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. More information: Dave Banks (541) 947-2950
During Free Fishing Weekend, fishing licenses and tags are not required, although all other regulations apply including bag limit and size restrictions. People who already have a combined tag for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and halibut are encouraged but not required to use it.
For a complete list of Free Fishing Weekend events throughout the state, go the ODFW website at