October 10, 2013
ROSEBURG, Ore. – Warm weather headed our way this weekend gives Rogue Valley anglers many great places to fish close to home. Family fun fishing opportunities are available despite some low water levels and recent closures.
Following are highlights of local opportunities. Pick up a 50 Places To Go Fishing Within 60 Minutes of Medford brochure at ODFW’s Central Point office, local sporting goods stores or on the ODFW web site.
- At Applegate Reservoir there is no boat access at this time but anglers may be able to fish from shore at the upper end of the reservoir
- Agate Lake water levels are low, but the ramp still reaches the water and bank fishing is available. Legal and large trout are scheduled to be stocked by the end of next week. Park access is open dawn to dusk. Emigrant Reservoir has good bank fishing access and boats can launch at the county campground (dawn to dusk).
- Expo Pond located along the road at gate 5 at the Jackson County Fairgrounds offers good bank fishing and is scheduled to be stocked with legal and large trout next week.
- Fish Lake was stocked with large trout just a month ago. There’s good bank fishing from Doe Point to the resort. The lake level has increased recently and small boats may be launched either at the resort (Friday, Saturday and Sunday; call for hours) or at the main ramp.
- Howard Prairie was recently stocked with legal and large trout. Please carefully release under-sized trout. Boats can be launched from the resort. Bank anglers can fish near the dam. Howard closes to fishing Nov. 1.
- Hyatt Lake was just stocked with legal and large trout. Boat launches are not available at this time but there is bank fishing access near the dam. Hyatt closes to fishing Nov. 1.
- Lost Creek was just stocked with legal and large trout, and fishing should be good into the winter.Bank fishing access near the dam is closed at this time, but boats can launch at the ramp at Stewart State Park. A harmful algae bloom advisory remains in place. Willow Lake was just stocked with legal and large trout. Boats can be launched at the county campground dawn to dusk. Good shoreline fishing is available, especially from the road along the east bank of the reservoir.
- Upper Rogue River has summer steelhead and trout. It’s the artificial fly season, so check the regulations before fishing. Boat ramps are available at Casey State Park, Rogue Elk County Park, Upper Rogue Regional Park in Shady Cove, Takelma boat ramp, Dodge Bridge boat ramp, and Touvelle State Park. Don’t harass spawning chinook.
- Lake Selmac has good bank afishing access and boats can be launched at county ramps. Selmac is scheduled to be stocked with legal and large trout by the end of next week.
- Reinhart Park Pond in Grants Pass has good bank access and is scheduled to receive legal and large trout by the end of next week.
- Middle Rogue River has summer steelhead and trout. Boat ramps are available at Gold Hill Boat Ramp, Valley of the Rogue State Park, Coyote Evans/Fleming Wayside, Pierce Riffle, Chinook Park, Baker Park, Schroeder Park, Whitehorse Park, Griffin Park, Robertson Bridge boat ramp, Hog Creek boat ramp, Indian Mary Park, Ennis Riffle Access. Don’t harass spawning chinook.
Photos of current water levels at the boat ramps at Agate, Fish and Willow lakes and Emigrant and Lost Creek reservoirs are available. Contact Daniel Van Dyke, ODFW district fish biologist, (541) 826-8774.