January 2, 2014
SALEM, Ore.—As of Jan. 1, 2014, wildlife viewers, anglers, walkers and others headed to any of 15 ODFW Wildlife Areas are required to have a parking permit. Daily permits cost $7 and annual permits are $22.
Permits can be purchased online, at ODFW offices that sell licenses or at license sales agents. In general, they cannot be purchased at Wildlife Areas. (Sauvie Island, Denman and Klamath wildlife areas sell permits during weekday office hours.)
As of Jan. 1, 2014: These ODFW Wildlife Areas will now require a parking permit.
- Elkhorn Wildlife Area, North Powder
- Power City Wildlife Area, Hermiston
- Irrigon Wildlife Area, Irrigon
- Coyote Springs Wildlife Area, Boardman
- Willow Creek Wildlife Area, Boardman
- Jewell Meadows Wildlife Area, Seaside
These ODFW Wildlife Areas already require a permit.
- Klamath Wildlife Area, Klamath Falls
- Fern Ridge Wildlife Area, Eugene
- White River Wildlife Area, Tygh Valley
- Phillip W. Schneider Wildlife Area, Dayville
- Denman Wildlife Area, Central Point
- E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area, Monmouth
- Ladd Marsh Wildlife Area, La Grande
- Summer Lake Wildlife Area, Summer Lake
- Sauvie Island Wildlife Area, Sauvie Island
Parking permits must be displayed on the vehicle’s dashboard. Permits are transferrable between cars, but each vehicle must have a permit while parked at the wildlife area.
A free parking permit is included with an annual Oregon hunting license; combination fishing and hunting license; Sports Pac; and Habitat Conservation Stamp. Operation and maintenance of ODFW wildlife areas are primarily funded by hunters through federal excise taxes on sporting arms and ammunition and hunting license fees.
Revenue from the Parking Permit Program will be used to improve habitat and infrastructure and to enhance wildlife viewing opportunities at wildlife areas.
For more information, go to ODFW’s website, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservationstrategy/parking.asp
Keith Kohl, ODFW Wildlife Area Operations coordinator, (503) 947-6038
Meg Kenagy, ODFW Conservation Strategy Communications coordinator, (503) 947-6021