Goose Permit testing is required for all goose hunters in the NW Oregon general goose zone, in addition to the NW Oregon goose permit zone.
Please be patient. This test will take a few moments to load.
- If you already have a valid NW Goose Permit you do not need to re-take this test.
- A permit is not needed to hunt during any Special September Canada Goose Season.
- Hunters who had valid permits at the end of 2011/12 season can obtain their 2012/13 permit and attached harvest card after August 3th.
- While hunters in the NW general zone may harvest more than one dusky Canada goose, we ask that they strive to harvest zero dusky Canada geese. Also, hunters in both the NW General and NW Permit zones may harvest only 3 cackling Canada or Aleutian Canada goose per day, combined. The NW Oregon goose test study materials, along with this test will help enable goose hunters to identify the various species and subspecies of geese during hunting situations and minimize their harvest of dusky and cackling Canada geese.
- If dusky Canada goose quotas are exceeded within a hunt area of the NW Permit Zone, the hunt area will be closed to all goose hunting for the remainder of that hunt period. This means shooting a dusky can affect the hunting privileges for everyone who wishes to hunt in the NW Permit Zone.
- Hunters failing to properly check harvested geese at the appropriate check station(s) will have their permit invalidated for the remainder of the 2012/13 season and will not be eligible to participate in the NW Permit Goose zone hunt during the 2013/14 season. A new permit can be obtained by retaking and passing the NW goose identification exam after the 2013/14 season.
- NW General Zone hunters are:
- Not required to record goose harvest in the field
- Not required to check in geese at the end of the hunt
- Required to adhere to the shooting hours found on page 13 of the 2012/13 game bird regulations.
- Required to carry the NW Goose Permit with them while hunting geese in the NW General Zone.
- See the Game Bird Regulations (pdf) for complete regulations regarding goose hunters in the NW Permit Zone and the NW General Zone.
- It is important that the person who will be using the permit is the only person taking the test. The test is intended to ensure that hunters are properly educated about the birds they will be hunting so they can avoid inadvertently violating hunting regulations which could potentially result in game violation citations and jeopardize goose hunting in NW Oregon.
- If you have a hunting or fishing license from the current or previous year, please have it available to you before starting the test. You must provide your ODFW ID number from your license before your permit can be issued.
- If you have never had a number assigned to you by purchasing an Oregon hunting or fishing license, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (503) 947-6101. When emailing, please include your full name, gender, date of birth, resident and mailing address, telephone number and note if you are a resident or nonresident.
The test is available online and takes about 30 minutes to complete. Once you begin the test, you will need to finish during a single session. You cannot save your results and restart later. (Note: there are multiple tests available – if you stop and restart a test, you may be given a different test.)
CONTACT INFORMATION: Carol Turner 503-947-6303
After submitting your test, results will be shown immediately to you. If you pass the exam, you may obtain your permit from any POS agent three days after passing your test. You may take the test up to three times per season. To pass the exam you must score 80% or higher. Individual test scores will not be made available.