Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a Taxidermist License?
Any person performing taxidermy of legally harvested wildlife for a fee must have a Taxidermist License. (ORS 497.238).
- Can I sell mounted wildlife with a Taxidermist License?
A licensed taxidermist may sell a client’s unclaimed, legally taken, mounted wildlife except migratory birds protected under federal law provided that:
- Upon completion, at least two written notices of intent to sell are sent to the client.
- Two months have passed since completion of the mount.
- The amount realized by the sale of a mount does not to exceed the original quoted price stated in writing, less any deposit received.
- Taxidermist possessing a Fur Dealer license may mount and sell legally taken furbearing animals.
- How do I obtain a Taxidermist License Application?
Contact any ODFW Wildlife District or Regional office or call the ODFW Licensing Section at (503) 947-6100 and ask for a Taxidermist License application form. Send the completed application and fee to the address listed above. This license is issued from the ODFW Salem Headquarters office only.
- What does a Taxidermist License cost?
The annual permit fee is $52.00, which includes an agent fee of $2.00 (ORS 497.022).
- What are the record keeping requirements for the Taxidermist License?
Records must be maintained at the business address of the taxidermist for a period of three years. The necessary information includes: the date, numbers and kinds of wildlife received; the tag number and year of issuance for the wildlife being mounted which require tags; the date taken and county or hunting unit and the state where taken; the name and address of the person who harvested the wildlife; the name and address of those from whom the wildlife was received and the quoted price for the taxidermy work.
- When does the Taxidermist License expire?
The Taxidermist License expires annually on December 31.
- How do I renew my Taxidermist License?
Renewal forms will be sent to you each year. Simply complete the renewal application form, note any changes that may have occurred and return the completed renewal application form with the $52.00 fee to the Licensing Section (address above).