The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission consists of seven members appointed by the governor for staggered four-year terms. One commissioner must be from each congressional district, one from east of the Cascades and one from the west of the Cascades.
The Commission was formed July 1, 1975 when the formerly separate fish and wildlife commissions were merged. ODFW consists of the commission, a commission appointed director and a statewide staff of approximately 1000 permanent employees. ODFW operates under ORS chapters 496 through 513. Commissioners formulate general state programs and policies concerning management and conservation of fish and wildlife resources and establishes seasons, methods and bag limits for recreational and commercial take.
The ODFW headquarters are in Salem, with regional offices in Clackamas and La Grande. Ten district offices are strategically located statewide. ODFW operates a variety of facilities designed to enhance fish and wildlife resources, including fish hatcheries, wildlife areas, public shooting grounds, hunting and fishing access sites and several research stations.
Do you have a question or comment for the Commission?