The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife  
 » ODFW Home    » Wildlife Division   » License, Permits and Applications
About Us Fishing Hunting Viewing License/Regs Conservation Living With Wildlife Education
Regulating harvest, health, and enhancement of wildlife populations

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Wildlife Holding Permit?

The Wildlife Holding Permit is used to authorize capture and holding of the following species:
Northern flying squirrels, golden-mantled ground squirrels, Douglas’s squirrel, red squirrel, and chipmunks.  It is also used to authorize holding of captive bred raccoon and bobcat from a USDA licensed facility.  The Wildlife Holding Permit applies to these species only.  (OAR 635-044-0005)

How do I obtain a Wildlife Holding Permit Application?

Call the ODFW Wildlife Division at 503-947-6301 and ask for a Wildlife Holding Permit application form. Send the completed application and fee to ODFW Wildlife Division 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. SE Salem OR 97302. This permit is issued from the ODFW Salem Headquarters office only.

Can I capture from the wild and hold a raccoon or bobcat?


Can I purchase or sell live squirrels, raccoons or bobcats in Oregon?

No.  Under Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 498.022, the purchase, sale, or exchange of any wildlife or wildlife part is prohibited unless the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has adopted rules to provide otherwise. The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has not adopted rules that allow the sale of live squirrels, raccoons, or bobcats.

What is the process for obtaining a Wildlife Holding Permit for raccoons or bobcats?

Wildlife Holding Permits for raccoons and bobcats may be obtained for animals that are:

  • Obtained from legal sources (USDA licensed captive breeder) outside Oregon and imported legally through the Oregon Department of Agriculture (503-986-4680). or
  • Received as a gift from an Oregon resident with a valid Wildlife Holding Permit for the animal given.
  • Can I take procession of a bobcat, raccoon, squirrel, or chipmunk before I get my holding permit?
  • No. The holding permit application must be approved first.

What does a Wildlife Holding Permit cost?

The annual permit fee is $7.00, which includes an agent fee of $2.00 per ORS 497.022. This fee is non refundable.

When does the Wildlife Holding Permit expire?

The Wildlife Holding Permit expires annually on December 31.

How do I renew my Wildlife Holding Permit?

Renewal forms will be sent to you each year.  Simply complete the renewal application form, note any changes that may have occurred and return the completed renewal application form with the fee to the ODFW Licensing Section 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. SE Salem OR  97302.


About Us | Fishing | Hunting | Wildlife Viewing | License / Regs | Conservation | Living with Wildlife | ODFW Outdoors

ODFW Home | Driving Directions | Employee Directory | Social Media | | File Formats | Employee Webmail | ODFW License Agents

4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE   ::   Salem, OR 97302   ::    Main Phone (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

Do you have a question or comment for ODFW? Contact ODFW's Public Service Representative at:
Share your opinion or comments on a Fish and Wildlife Commission issue at

   © ODFW. All rights reserved. This page was last updated: 12/30/2015 3:02 PM