Salem, Ore. -- The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife invites Oregonians to fish, clam and crab for free during Free Fishing Weekend, June 7-8.
As an added bonus, free fishing events around the region can help parents introduce their children to the joy of fishing. Events are typically geared toward kids and many provide loaner rods and reels as well as folks to help kids learn how to fish.
During Free Fishing Weekend, fishing licenses and tags are not required although all other angling regulations apply.
The following events are taking place throughout central and southeast Oregon. All events are on Saturday, June 7 unless noted:
- Burns Pond, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. More information: Tim Walters (541) 573-6582.
- Christmas Valley Golf Course, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. More information: Shannon Hurn (541) 947-0966.
- Fourmile Quarry Ponds, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. More information: Neil Anderson (541) 883-6731.
- Odell Lake (Shelter Cove Resort), FRIDAY, JUNE 6, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. More information: Paul Powers (541) 433-3236.
- Klamath Fish Hatchery, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Participants must be 12 and under. More information: Greg Lipsiea (541) 381-2278.
- Mayer State Park, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. More information: Megan Heinrich (541) 296-4628.
- Wizard Falls Hatchery, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. More information: Steve Hamberger (541) 595-6611.
For information about other Free Fishing Weekend events throughout the state, go to https://www.dfw.state.or.us/free_fishing/events.asp