The Oregon Seal Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife  
» ODFW Home     » Conservation Strategy   » Invasive Species   » Marine Aquatic
About Us Fishing Hunting Viewing License/Regs Conservation Living With Wildlife Education
Native fish, wildlife and their habitat
Report Debris: or call 211 or 1-800-SAFENET

Marine Aquatic Invasive Species, Japanese Tsunami Debris

Debris from the tsunami that struck Japan will continue to wash up on U.S. shores for several years. Some of it may contain invasive species that could pose a serious threat to Oregon’s marine environment and native species through competition, crowding and predation.

If you find beach debris

  • If you find small debris that has living organisms attached, send photo along with details (location, county, date found, description of item, what you did with the item) to Then, dispose of it in the nearest garbage can or move it above high tide line.
  • If you find large debris, send an email with details to: or call 211 or 1 800-safenet.
  • Never move marine debris with living organisms to other bodies of water.
  • If you find wood debris, leave it where it is unless it poses a safety hazard (nails, metal, etc.) or is an unusual item.

Timeline and Information



Invasive Species Contacts: Rick Boatner, Rick.J.Boatner@, (503) 947-6308; Steve Rumrill, , (541) 867-0300 ext. 245
Media Contact: Meghan Dugan,, (541) 440-3353 x252

Wakame Pacific Sea Star
Wakame kelp (Undaria pinnatifida).
- Hatfield Marine Science Center photo -
Northern Pacific seastars (Asterias amurensis).
- Hatfield Marine Science Center photo -

About Us | Fishing | Crabbing & Clamming | Big Game Hunting | Game Bird Hunting | Wildlife Viewing | License / Regs | Conservation | Living with Wildlife | Education | Workday Login

ODFW Home | Driving Directions | Employee Directory | Social Media | | File Formats | Employee Webmail | ODFW License Agents

4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE   ::   Salem, OR 97302   ::    Main Phone (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

Do you have a question or comment for ODFW? Contact ODFW's Public Service Representative at:
Share your opinion or comments on a Fish and Wildlife Commission issue at:
Do you need this information in an alternative format or language? Contact 503-947-6042 or click here.

   © ODFW. All rights reserved. This page was last updated: 07/12/2022 2:15 PM